Proverbs 25:17 Withdraw thy foot from thy neighbour's house


 WTT Proverbs 25:17 הֹקַ֣ר רַ֭גְלְךָ מִבֵּ֣ית רֵעֶ֑ךָ פֶּן־יִ֜שְׂבָּעֲךָ֗ וּשְׂנֵאֶֽךָ׃

APB Proverbs 25:17 Let your foot rarely be in your neighbor's house, Lest he have his fill of you and hate you.

Translation notes: No textual variants noted in BHS, BHQ, or Fox.  The verb yaqar occurs other times with the min preposition, but none share this verses’s semantic features. Literally, “make rare your foot from the house of your friend/neighbor.” The second half uses the verb “be sated, satisfied,” but as HALOT notes, with an object, it can mean “have enough of, have too much of.”

Theological Commentary:
Yahweh, what are you teaching me about yourself?
1. From your perspective, I should avoid wearying my neighbor and so come to be disliked.

2. This proverb is an application of the 2nd great commandment: do to others and you would have them do to you. But it also adds in the factor that not all persons have the same preference for social interaction. So from Your perspective, Yahweh, less is better. I should want people wishing I would come, rather than wishing I wouldn’t. I.e., don’t overstay your welcome and don’t overtax his hospitality.

3. As always, Your wisdom enacts Your love, for You are seeking my best interest in guiding my social skills. 

Thank you for caring about me and directing me in how to live in peace and harmony with my fellow image bearers. Grant me wisdom and guide me by your Spirit to know how much is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Pursue Peace and Holiness (Heb. 12:14)

Remove not the ancient landmark ... what does that mean?

Red Wine! Don't Look! (Proverbs 23:31)